Monday, September 20, 2010

LEARNING NOT TO FLY?

LEARNING NOT TO FLY?

Aviation enthusiasts are promoting May 15 as Learn to Fly day. I am proud of my accomplishment and very much enjoy the privilege of flying. However, as we approach Learn to Fly day, I am pondering should I learn not to fly?

One of the easiest decisions I ever made was to learning to fly. It was something I had always wanted to do so from that standpoint I am not even aware of when I made the decision or deliberated about it. It was just something I always wanted to do. Achieving the goal was a little harder but in retrospect not all that challenging. It was just getting around to taking the first step and of course to funding it that took some time. In the Spring of 2004, I finally made the commitment and earned my licenses three and a half months later.

Now, I face a more difficult challenge, one faced all too often by pilots, the decision whether to continue to fly or to hang up the flight bag. I would never have imagined being at this point, and pondering that as an option after all those years of dreaming of flying and the wonderful six years as a pilot.

But I am a month, maybe weeks away from becoming a father to twins. They occupy much of my thoughts these days as I assume they always will. In thinking of them I have thought about flying and how my passion for aviation fits with my expanding family.

At a recent aviation get together I heard many pilots explain that they just recently returned to flying after 15-20 years away from aviation in which they focused on raising their families. This helped spur the conversation in my head in which I am continually debating what role aviation should play in my life over the next twenty years.

One side of the argument says what a great life lesson it is for children to see their father went after one of his dreams and is passionately continuing to pursue and foster that dream. I would love sharing my love of aviation with them. Additionally, the benefits of general aviation could offer us greater flexibility in travel and entertainment. Flying also brings me great joy, satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment that would be tough to forgo. A flight does not go by in which my wife does not positively comment on the glow on my face or the happiness in my voice after I return from flying. Each flight is an experience like no other that I truly treasure.

On the other side of the conversation are things like cost, time and safety. Let's face it: this is one expensive hobby. My mind is swirling with the costs of diapers, day care, and college tuition and flying seems like an expense that brings great joy to me but maybe not to the entire family. In addition to the monetary costs it is a time investment. Each flight represents a few hours away from the family (at least at first when they are so young) not to mention any time spent planning flights or continuing to learn. I may be naive (everyone says I have no idea what is about to happen in my life) but I cannot imagine wanting to spend hours away from these little ones on a weekend. I wonder will I prefer to take them for a walk or to a park on a sunny day rather than heading off to the airport.

I also wonder if I can find the time to continue to be a safe pilot which leads to the safety issue. Am I putting my family at greater risk by participating in a hobby that is more dangerous than your average hobby of home improvement, gardening, golf or tennis?

No matter what the decision I have to say I feel so blessed to have followed this dream and now to be given the opportunity to raise twins with my wife. If I do choose to continue to fly I do know then I need to go into it full bore. I need to invest the time and money to fly more frequently and work towards an instrument rating to help make me a safer pilot.

Most of you, my readers, are pilots. So I am sure you all have gone through periods of your life where you have wondered if you should take a break or keep at the controls. I would love to hear your advice.

PREFLIGHT BRIEFING: PREPARING FOR A SAFE FLIGHT

My first Certified Flight Instructor had just completed her own training at the Delta Connection Academy when we started flying together. In retrospect I really benefited from her advanced training. One of the first things she taught me was how to provide a thorough preflight briefing. The practice of giving a briefing before every flight is one I have practiced ever since.

During the Chicago Air & Water Show I had the honor to fly with the U.S. Navy Blue Angels in their C-130 known as Fat Albert. Major Brendan Burks gave the most impressive preflight briefing I have ever experienced before our flight, setting the bar high for all my future preflight briefings (see video below). Prior to the flight he addressed the crew and explained in detail the current conditions, planned maneuvers and how the crew would address any emergency should it arise. It was clear to everyone involved what to expect during the flight and who would be responsible for various aspects of the flight, mission accomplished.

We don't all have the privilege to fly a four-fanned C-130 supporting the Blue Angels, but we can strive to bring that level of forethought, professionalism and preparedness to each of our flights. Whether you are flying with other pilots, passengers or flying solo I think it is extremely valuable to verbally walk through aspects of your upcoming flight including emergency procedures.

I am fairly particular about who I choose to fly with and one immediate turn-off is when another pilot neglects to provide a preflight briefing. On the flip side, I am immediately put at ease when I share a cockpit with someone who takes time to conduct a proper briefing like Major Burks of the Blue Angels or as was the case with Rod Rakic of myTransponder last summer.

I think the video below will inspire you to work on your preflight briefing routine before your next flight. Looking for some additional tips? Check out Paul's post on Ask a Flight Instructor for some sample scripts. Also, Jason Miller of FinerPoints published a podcast several years back that gives some tips on giving an effective preflight briefing.

--
AeroSoft Corp.
ADDRESS: 108 AMBIKAPURI EXTN. AIRPORT ROAD INDORE 452005 MP INDIA
Home page :

No comments:

Post a Comment