Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Only 1 out of 1000 pilots becomes an airline pilot. But this book is about the remaining 999 pilots!



Fact: Only 1 out of 1000 pilots becomes an airline pilot. But 
this book is about the remaining 999 pilots! 




Captain Imran Khan 


I boarded my first ever international flight, all alone, 
from Bangalore to Colombo Airlanka [Now Srilankan] 
Flt # UL 342 with the aim of being a Pilot. Though I was a 
frequent flyer with dad & mom, especially across the country, 
this was my first ever flight alone – across international borders. 
Wearing a blue t shirt teamed with my black jeans and my 
favourite pair of Nike, my nervousness and enthusiasm 
gripped the better of me and as I walked towards the airplane, 
and the thought of being a future airline pilot soon engulfed 
me.    

My admission letter from Asian School of Aviation 
(one of Asia’s reputed flight school) was securely placed in 
my cabin bag, just in case the authorities wanted to check. 
When we landed safely on Colombo International Airport’s 
Runway 27 and I felt a step closer to my dreams. 

Colombo Airport  


As I collected my luggage I was happy to see my flight school representative holding 
up a placard with my name to welcome me. Relief!
The next thing I did was to hop in to the school’s van and we drove down all the way 
to the South of the city to Mt. Lavinia.
I was thrilled by the beauty of the place. Mt. Lavinia is typically a tourist place with 
more foreigners than locals. 


Flight School


At the flight school I was greeted by Captain Ravi Silva, our Chief Flight Instructor
 [ CFI ] and the owner of the flight school. He is also a holder of an ATPL from 
Europe and is type rated on Boeing 747 from  USA.  


When my ground classes commenced for my Student Pilot License (SPL) course I 
met fellow students from different parts of the world. We were lucky to have Capt. 
Namal as our ground instructor – a fantastic young man with in depth insight to 
the aviation world.


When my I started my flying lessons for Private Pilot License [ PPL ] under my 
instructor Capt. Sanjiva, I was amazed by his flying skills and knowledge that 
he imparted on ground and in air.


Aircrafts, hangers, fuel, tower, flight planning were now a part of my life and the 
high risk of flying a plane became my second nature. 


On my second solo cross country flight I planned my flight to Merode Castle, about 
four miles from the town of Gale on the Gale Harber Roer River.
The castle is said to have been built in the Middle Ages. It is surrounded by a moat, 
and had several staircases leading up the circular towers to the ramparts, which the 
archers used to defended the castle. I had flown in the vicinity a few times earlier 
with my instructor but flying solo has its own thrill. 


Time was closing in for my PPL exam and I was feeling more confident with each 
flight. A Private Pilot License would certify me to fly as the Pilot In Command.


The study involved a whole lot of aerodynamics, aeronautical decision making, 
preflight/ post flight techniques and procedures, weather conditions, performance 
of airplane, aircraft systems, instruments, basic maneuvers, emergency operations, 
night operations and a whole lot of interesting theoretical knowledge as well as 
practical training. 


And soon, after undergoing the written exam, the oral test and the flight test I found 
myself holding my first license to fly – my PPL!!! 
What followed soon after was a line-up of parties and sorties and the thrill of flying 
around at odd hours (as per schedule of course!) and lots of celebrations around. 
The sky soon became my second home. Given the fact that I was up there for most 
part of the day! 

But this was just the beginning towards obtaining the Commercial Pilot License. 
And the day I cleared the Commercial Flight Test, my joy knew no bounds.


Back home, it was a celebration of sorts when I returned as a certified Commercial 
Pilot. Friends and family welcomed me with open arms and lots of cheer. 


I was soon looked up to by everyone, especially my family. My opinion was valued, 
though I was just a young lad of 20. I definitely had earned the respect of all.


I started helping dad with his business but kept my flying current in order to 
keep my license valid. I enrolled with the Bangalore Flying Club [ BFC ] 
to keep myself updated and current with the flying. This gave me a good opportunity 
to fly the Cessna around for short business trips too. 


But joining the airlines was still a distant dream. There were not many vacancies.  


In 2001 when the boom began I was selected by ModiLuft to fly the Airbus 320. 
The sim training was to be done in Tulus, France. But unfortunately I could not 
clear the sim training and got back home disappointed. Thankfully I had my dad’s 
business to look after. 

In 2006, when Paramount Airways launched in India they were operating the ERJ’s. 
I got myself the type rating of the ERJ in a few months and sent my log book and 
license for certification from the DGCA. But instead of endorsing the ERJ they, 
by mistake, endorsed me for the CRJ!


What followed was almost seven weeks of grief to get the thing corrected. 


After undergoing all the trouble when I approached the airlines (Paramount) I was told
 that due to the shortage of aircrafts we were “on standby” (hold) and they assured us 
that soon we would hear from them regarding the joining. It’s been a couple of years 
and there is still no news. Last I heard was that the airline was on ventilator. 


So the only flying is do now is on the Cessna 172 of BFC [ Yes thanks to Aero Club of India
BFC has a new Brand SkyHawk C `172 now ]  with the engineers and managers of my company!
or may be with my house maker and my 7 yrs old kid on holidays. 




Be an Aviator Not a Pilot
by
Shekhar Gupta
Capt Ankisha Awasthi

» Synopsis

Be an Aviator Not a Pilot is a story of Pilots in Aviation who are unable to cope.

This is not a book to teach you how to get into an Aviation School or even how to live like a Pilot. In fact, it describes how one can become a Successfull Aviator not just an Airplane Driver [ So called Pilot ] with very small changes in life.

Also Why abroad trained Pilots are better Aviator and Why FAA, CASA, CAAP, CAA are better civil Aviation Authority then DGCA. 



Capt. Ankisha Blog
http://captainankishaawasthi.blogspot.com/ 

Capt. Shekhar Blog 
http://www.captainshekhargupta.blogspot.com/

Give your feed back 
feedback@beanaviatornotapilot.in

No comments:

Post a Comment